H.W Luckhart (as it was formerly called) was founded by Howard Luckhart in 1951. Howard’s son, Doug joined the fleet with his own tractor in 1973. The business was then incorporated under the name Luckhart Transport Ltd. as Doug became a shareholder with his father.
The business grew and prospered and the office was moved from the family home out back into an office trailer. The shareholders also grew and the business was owned by Howard and Marjorie Luckhart, Doug Luckhart and Paul Ehgoetz.
In 1986, Luckhart Transport Ltd. bought Ken Mogk Transport and Paul Ehgoetz sold his shares to one of Howard’s other sons, Tom. The O.C. Zehr farm on Perth Road 135 and the Kirkton yard were purchased. This gave Luckharts assembly yards for livestock in Sebringville, Tavistock and Kirkton.
In 1996, Luckhart Transport built a new facility on the Zehr farm which included a shop, an indoor wash bay, offices and a wetland system. Luckhart Transport is still located there today.
In 2000 Luckharts purchased Clare Kuepfer Transport and in 2005, the livestock division of Lloyd Hurst Transport.
The unfortunate breakout of BSE in May of 2003 forced the closure of the border between Canada and the United States to cattle export. Luckharts found it necessary to diversify and the company started to haul dry freight as well as live turkeys. Despite the many changes that have occured at Luckhart Transport, our specialty continues to be livestock hauling.
In 2009, Luckharts built an addition to our facility to include shop facilities for retro-fitting Barrett trailers and servicing trucks as well as a drying bay for bio-security purposes. In April of 2009 the partnership between Tom Luckhart and Doug Luckhart was amicably dissolved. Tom sold his shares to Angie (Luckhart) Hurst, Doug’s daughter. This is the third generation of Luckharts to own shares in the company.